We're all dying...So let's enjoy our living

It's been several years since I read Paula Deen's biography, It Ain't All About the Cookin'. I really enjoyed the book. It was funny, down to earth, and REAL.  Real is something that we all like to avoid.  We don't really love admitting our faults, telling our secrets, or feel the grit of the everyday...but that's REAL.  Anyway, in her book Paula discusses the challenges of agoraphobia.  She talks about the healing process she had to complete to overcome this challenge, and one of the steps was admitting that we are all going to die. She came to terms with the fact that she was on her way out, her boys were on their way out, and everyone in her life was on their way out of this life at some point.  I agree...We are all getting closer to death, so we should embrace that fact and move forward.

Having made it plain and clear that I understand I am going to die one day, I want to share with you some of the choices I am making to help enjoy the life I am living before I die.  Lately I have been making my own lotions, chap sticks and facial cleansers. In January, I am launching a new business venture selling essential oils, which have amazing healing ability and can help you feel better.  In addition, I regularly think about and try to improve what my family is eating.  ALL of these are in an effort to make the life we are living enjoyable because the better you feel while you are living life, the more enjoyable each moment is. (I speak from experience, life when you don't feel good, isn't that much fun.)

So, as I journey down my path of life, I want to continue to share with you some of the wonderful things I love.  Today I am going to share with you my favorite new creamy lotion that I experimented with my friend Connie.  We have had wonderful success with this cream making our skin feel like a newborn baby's skin.  I'm pretty sure it has magical healing powers because it instantly makes your skin feel good when you use it.

I found the recipe at  a a website called Measuring Flower on this post.

Here are my alterations to the recipe:

Coconut Oil and Shea Butter Cream

Ingredients

  • 2 tbsp. beeswax 
  • 1/4 c. organic extra virgin coconut oil
  • 1/4 c. shea butter
  • 2 tbsp. grape seed oil ( I have also used olive oil)
  • essential oil blend - see below
Directions

Pour all of the ingredients, except for the essential oils into a tempered glass bowl.  Make a double boiler by placing about an inch to two inches of water inside a small pan and placing your tempered glass bowl on top of the pan. DO NOT LET YOUR GLASS BOWL TOUCH THE WATER.  

Place the pan on a medium heat and allow the water to boil until all of your ingredients are melted.  Make sure your pan does not run out of water, or it can damage your pan (trust me on this.)

When all of your ingredients are melted, remove the glass bowl from the heat. Add your essential oil blend (choose one below) and then pour it into a glass jar.  


Connie's Citrus Blend
10 drops wild orange oil
10 drops grapefruit oil
10 drops lime oil

Sarah's Relaxing Blend
10 drops lavender oil
10 drops peppermint oil
10 drops eucalyptus oil


Wipe your melting bowl immediately after you have poured out its contents to assist with easy clean up.  
Let the cream cool to room temperature. I find 30 minutes in the fridge sets the cream up to its solid state.

To Use

Start by placing a dime sized amount in your hands. Rub your hands together to melt the cream. Use the cream on your hands, feet, or other dry spots.  A little of this cream goes a looooong way, so don't get too much to start with.

If you live in the Parkersburg,WV area and would like to try your hand at making this cream. You can buy your ingredients at Back to Basics Log Cabin. Her prices were reasonable, and she had everything I needed.  I would recommend only buying the amount of shea butter you plan on using. I bought a pound and still have a fair bit left after making creams, lip gloss, and lotions bars.

Enjoy your today.

Comments

Popular Posts