Everyday Cranberry Salad

I love cranberries.  I have loved cranberries now for about five years.  I'm not sure when the love affair started, but it might have been shortly after I learned that you do not have to prep cranberries in any way before freezing - YEP, that's right - cranberries freeze wonderfully.  I usually just stick them in the freezer in their original bag.  Then when I want to use them, I grind them from frozen.  They make great smoothies. I have a lovely mock daiquiri recipe I use them in, and you throw them into breads and muffins. Needless to say that when cranberries go on sale at the end of the fall, I stock up!

Last Friday I needed a quick salad to add to a meal because I wanted to add a little color to our table. I whipped up this great little recipe, and it was a huge success.  It was inspired by a cookbook, Busy People''s Fun, Fast and Festive cookbook, which has several cranberry recipes in it.  I didn't have a few of the ingredients she recommended, so I made my own recipe.

Everyday Cranberry Salad

Ingredients
1 c cranberries
1/2 - 2/4 c applesauce
2 peeled cuties (1 tangerine or orange can be substituted)
1/2 c pecan pieces
1/2 c Splenda or 3/4 c sugar

Grind the cranberries in a food processor or blender. (I use my ninja blender, which works wonders on frozen food.) Put in a bowl.  Cut up the cuties into small pieces and add to the bowl.  Add apple sauce, Splenda and pecans.  Mix to incorporate all of the ingredients together. Serve.

The children loved this dish.  I will make it again because it takes less than five minutes and provides them with a lot of healthy fruit.

Enjoy,

Sarah

Comments

Popular Posts