Popcorn! Get your popcorn!

I will one day manage a daily blog, but that day has not yet come. Be patient with me until I get the hang of it and have the time to do it.  It might take me 6-8 months to perfect the art of blogging;-)  Be VERY patient with me!!

Tonight is a peaceful night in the Barton house.  Dinner plans were made on the way home, and everyone is happy with the outcome.  So what's for dinner?  My old standby -- POPCORN!!

I love popcorn .  I have always  loved popcorn.  When I was in middle school my parents bought a popcorn machine for their bookstore, which I regularly work at.  It was heavenly.  I got to eat popcorn as much as wanted.  I would eat popcorn for a snack...eat it for dinner...and take it home to eat for breakfast or lunch the next day.  You may think I am exaggerating, but I really ate it that often.  

It warmed my hear the day I learned that popcorn is pretty nutritional for you.  I still enjoy reading articles like this one and this one, all about popcorn and its health value.  As long as you keep the fat content down in the popcorn, it really isn't terrible for you, and in my opinion, popcorn is a better alternative to pizza (our usual Thursday night meal.)

So how do I make my popcorn?  On the stove of course.  Popcorn is best when made on the stove top.  It's simple.  In a deep pan pour two tablespoons of oil, heat the oil over a medium heat for 1 minute, then add the unpopped popcorn   Cover it.  Gently shake the cover pot every 30-45 seconds to keep the kernels from burning.  The popcorn will be done when the pops have slowed to one pop every 10-15 seconds.  Remove from the heat and eat.

When we are eating popcorn for dinner, I try to accompany the popcorn with a fruit and vegetable tray. My kids munch on all of the items on their plate, so they eat popcorn with a heaping serving of veggies and fruit.

If you don't want to eat your popcorn plain, you can melt two-four tablespoons of butter for every cup of unpopped popcorn you cooked. Pour the butter over your  popcorn and then add my family's favorite spicy popcorn mix.  (My kids love it and it's not hot!)

Spicy Popcorn Mix
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp lemon pepper

Mix together all of the ingredients.  Sprinkle them over your buttered popcorn.  I usually triple the recipe and keep it handy

If you don't want spicy, and don't mind messy, you can also try peanut butter and jelly popcorn.  Just melt 2 Tbsp of peanut butter and 2 Tbsp of your favorite jelly.  Pour it over your popcorn.  Mix thoroughly.

However you eat it, I hope you enjoy it!

Sarah



Comments

Popular Posts