Words



Kind words heal and help; cutting words wound and maim. Proverbs 15:4 MSG

Words are my thing.  If you know me, you know that I like to use them, I like to write them, and their meanings are important to me.

With words, you can create fiery pictures brimming with lava that will overflow and fill the soul. You can communicate great truths,  express deep sorrow and be authentic unique manner.  Words make you the author of the narrative. I enjoy building others up with my words, encouraging people, and creating.  And it is always a blessing to receive kind words.

But words can also cut deep, wound hidden places, and demolish confidence.  Their destruction can be swift and lasting or can be like a subtle poisonous venom that slowly erodes a person over time.  Words that hurt break hearts, spirits, and lives.  We've all witnessed it, experienced it, and know it.  Sometimes we’ve been the offended and sometimes the offender.

So how do you choose to use your words?  It is always my goal to heal and help.  If I am not doing that, how can I be better?  How do we ensure that our words are received in the manner in which they were written or offered?  This is an everlasting question, puzzle, and riddle I have not yet solved, or perhaps I do not have the desire to resolve it because I already know the solution.

The ancient scrolls give many recommendations on this very subject, yet none have yet convinced me well enough to stop loving words and using them.

Proverbs 10:19 Transgression is at work where people talk too much, but anyone who holds his tongue is prudent. 

Proverbs 17:28 Even fools are thought wise when they keep silent; with their mouths shut, they seem intelligent.

I remember the day that Miss Amy sat Gideon down when I got home from work, handed him a book and said read this to your momma.  And he did.  I quickly asked how he learned to read, and he said, " Words are everywhere. If you look, they are there to be read."  

Yep, baby...I know.  

I see words everywhere, and if they are there, they can be read.  I think words all the time, and I like to share those darn words.  I don't know how to stop seeing them or using them. But if I cannot stop using them, I pray that every word that escapes my mouth is kind, healing, and helpful. And that the receiver might receive them in that spirit.

It reminds me of a song written by Barbara Lynn DeShazo,  Ancient Words.  Here are a few of her words.

Holy words long preserved 
for our walk in this world,
They resound with God's own heart
Oh, let the Ancient words impart.
Words of Life, words of Hope
Give us strength, help us cope
In this world, where e'er we roam
Ancient words will guide us Home.
Ancient words ever true
Changing me, and changing you.
We have come with open hearts
Oh let the ancient words impart.
I am not closer to a resolution, but it's been good to get a few of these words in written form.  🤣 Do you see my dilemma?
Take care, you all -- Stay safe and look around you... There are words everywhere.

Comments

Popular Posts