Super Easy Soap Making

Today I decided to make some bars of soap I got for Christmas into body wash.  The soap bars had the most delicious smell, and I knew I would enjoy using them as body wash. This was so SIMPLE, I can't wait to share the recipe.

What You Need:
2 Bars Yardley Soap (Not glycerin soap)
4 Cups Hot Water plus some for thinning
Glass Bowl
Microwave
Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer

1. Grate the soap. (I grated mine in an old food processor.  If you don't have a food processor, you can grate it by hand, but that takes away the ease of the recipe.)

2.  Put the grated soap and four cups hot water into the glass bowl.

3.  Microwave for ten minutes, stirring the mixture every two minutes or until all of the grated soap has dissolved.  Microwave longer if there are soap pieces remaining at the end of ten minutes.

4.  Let the mixture sit on the counter for several hours or over night.

5.  Using your mixer, whip the soap until fluffy.  If the mixture is clumpy or too thick, water it down until it is a nice, creamy consistency.

This is my third time making soap in the microwave.  The first two times I did not grate my soap, and I highly recommend grated the soap. It makes the process so much faster and reduced clumps.

My experience making soap with a glycerin bar was not positive. The liquid soap did not lather at all and was almost sticky.  I decided the extra glycerin must throw the recipe off.  I also did not enjoy making it with Ivory, the Yardley soap I used this time was a lotion soap, and it came out very nicely.

The perfumes in soap are very powerful. I find I have to wash my "soapy" dishes several times to get the perfumes out.  As a result, I do have a few recycles tubs that I use to make soap in, or I use glass dishes, that are easy to scrub.

I enjoy making new things, and always find creating to be a wonderful experience.  If you want to try something new this weekend, how about making soap?

Glad it's Friday,

Sarah

Comments

Popular Posts