Bread Machines - Are They Worth it?

Over Thanksgiving my aunt was pondering whether or not she should get a bread machine.  Bread Machines are a bigger gadget, and often come with a hefty price tag.  I fully endorsed bread machines to her, and I will for you too.

First of all, let me say that bread machines do not have to be expensive.  Most thrift stores will have bread machines on their shelves with prices tags of $5-$20 dollars.  When I wanted a bread machine, I put an announcement in the bulletin at church and was able to get a "like new" bread machine for only $15. Many people buy bread machines, but often they only use it once or twice and then forget about it.  It gets put in the basement and then finds its way to a thrift store or yard sale.  If you decide to buy one, I encourage looking for a used bread machine before dishing out the big bucks for a new one.

Picture from Amazon.com
Bread machines may fresh bread a breeze.  You measure out your ingredients, hit a few buttons and then walk away.  Mine takes about two to four hours to complete the process.  Stores do market bread machine mixes, which can cut down on the amount of time you have to commit to the process also. The Hodgson Mill variety that is pictured to the right costs about $2.65 a mix at amazon. All you have to do is add the wet ingredients.  I enjoy mixing up my own bread mixes and keeping them in the freezer with my meals.  When a meal calls for fresh bread, I can grab the mix and throw it in the bread machine before work.  My machine has a delay timer, so I set the timer ahead and the bread is fresh when I get home from work. Thrifty and Thriving website has several recipes she mixes up ahead of time.  Most bread machines recipes can be made into mixes.  Just mix together the dry ingredients, label the containers or bags with the type of bread, and make a list of wet ingredients that need to be added before baking, stick it in the mix, for ease of use, then store it.

WARNING:  Before you mix up bread mixes,you must know what size loaves your bread machine can handle.  A recipe that is too large for your machine can ruin the machine or at a minimum make a HUGE mess.   Only use recipes that "fit" the size of your machine.

Once you have a bread machine, you can do so much more than just whipping up a loaf of bread.  Bread machines have a dough setting, which allows you to mix and raise dough for use in other recipes.  Last night I made cinnamon rolls.  It took and hour for the bread machine to make the dough, then I was able to add the filling, stick them in the microwave to raise again, and complete "from scratch" cinnamon rolls without any fuss in two and a half hours. I have also made dinner rolls and pizza dough in my bread machine.  

If you are considering making the investment in a bread machine, I recommend it!  Bread machines are very useful if you love homemade bread and dough.  They save time, use very little energy, and can help you make scrumptious bread without breaking a sweat.   They also help you watch the ingredients in your bread. Have you looked at the ingredients in store bought bread?  I don't recognize most of them.  When I use my bread machine, I always know what I am putting in my mouth and the mouths of my children.  That makes this momma's heart sing!

Happy Baking,

Sarah

 

Comments

Popular Posts