Rhythm

Do you have rhythm? When we ask this question, often it is being asked about your body. Rhythm is typically the built-in sense that allows your body to move fluidly and gracefully. I have rhythm, but I am not sure it is the same rhythm as others. 

 When I hear a song I hear the undertones loudest, and I want to clap to those notes. This makes clapping in a crowd awkward. 

I do not have an automatic left/right rhythm. This makes giving and getting directions difficult. I'm one of those people that looks for land markers and specific signage to help me set my course. 

At one time, perhaps I would've said that I don't have rhythm, but as I progress on my journey, I have learned that without a doubt I have rhythm...just sometimes it isn't the same as other people's rhythm.

Recently. I have begun to listen to podcasts again. I LOVE to soak in information! So...I am enjoying it.

Because I began this post four years ago, I had wanted share to one of the podcasts I had heard.  I had forgotten it, but today I listened to it again.  It is by Rob Bell. Rob, the host, is a fellow who explores spiritual things. Some of which I agree with, and others that make me think more deeply about what I believe. The podcast, Letting the Land Lie Fallow, is about the rhythm of people and of the earth and honoring these rhythms.  He makes some excellent points about how both need rest and that each has a rhythm.  

Unrelated to this podcast, I have been saying over and over the past month that my rhythm has been off.  My balance was not correct.  

Recently, I met a new friend, and the newness of the friendship reminded me of all the notes of my rhythm that I have forgotten. So I have been recapturing things forgotten.  

And this weekend I had a restored rhythm of rest, too.  It is all a very good thing.  I had forgotten what my rhythm sounds like.  I had forgotten the joys of hearing my natural rhythms and marching to it.  

So for now...
  • I am remembering to engage with old friends.
  • I am sharing my thoughts and ideas again through writing.
  • I am making my life full, but not just busy.
  • I am remembering how to engage in good rest.
  • I am finding my balance again.
How do you find balance?  One tiny step at a time.  

When things change in life, like a pandemic, sometimes you have to figure out a rhythm all over again. It takes intention and perseverance.  And that's okay.  One tiny step.

So I called Christi and Rakia.  I texted Daniel. I listened to a podcast.  Restoration of old habits...renewal through rest.  I can do this.

What is your next step?

Comments

Popular Posts