A Christmas Gift

You may have never asked for this gift,  but will you trust God to know what you need? - Lisa Whittle, The Hard Good

Today was a sleepy Christmas Day.  The season has been a little sleepy too.  

The laud of Christmas was quieted this year, and a calmer time of rest and contemplation have been granted instead.  I don't think this rhythm change has been accidental.  The world continues to grieve the losses of the past two years and we need rest and contemplation to be restored to our new selves. 

In the mix of the season,  I recieved one of my favorite gifts, a Paw Patrol band-aid.

Why was this my favorite? 

For Christmas I bought my brother's four foster children each their own box of fun band-aids.  You remember when you had a box of your favorite band-aids and each one was special because you only had twenty to use?  Well,  Brian's favorite is Paw Patrol.  And before he had to leave yesterday,  he ran into the room and asked me if I had any cuts or boo boos that needed a band-aid. Because I knew his excitement to have a reason to use one,  I showed him my finger and told him I thought it might need one.   Then he carefully thought through which one he should give me...he talked through it out loud and decided to give me a girl puppy (sorry, I don't recall the name).  Then he carefully unwrapped the band-aid, threw away the paper and inspected my finger as he put it on. I complimented him on his care and suggested he might be a doctor one day,  but he laughed and said he didn't think so.  Then he ran on his way.

Children have so much to teach us.   Let's remember to stop and ask people if they need any help.   Let's be willing to sacrifice a little something to make others feel better. Let's take time to see each other and want the best for them in their journeys.   And let's find joy in it all.   

I hope you also recieved some special gifts this season.  Perhaps they were just unexpected moments of joy,  peace, rest or calm, but whatever they were,  I hope you were able to savor them. 

Merry Christmas from our house to yours.  We love you. 

Comments

Popular Posts